2012 World Soundtrack Award Nominees: Madonna, Mary J. Blige and Sinead O’Connor
Florence and the Machine and Jason Segel are also set to compete against Madge, Blige and O’Connor in grabbing the coveted Best Original Song prize.
After winning a Golden Globe for Best Original Song thanks to her ballad “Masterpiece” for her directorial film “W.E.“,Madonna is set to compete at the 2012 World Soundtrack Awards to win the coveted prize for Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film. She will face off the likes of Mary J. Blige and Sinead O’Connorfor the gong.
Blige gets nominated for her song “The Living Proof”, which was a soundtrack for critically-acclaimed drama “The Help“. O’Connor, meanwhile, earns the nod thanks to her track “Lay Your Head Down” from “Albert Nobbs“.
Also competing in the category are Florence and the Machine whose song “Breath of Life” became a soundtrack for “Snow White and the Huntsman“, and Jason Segel whose Bret McKenzie-written song “Man or Muppet” won an Oscar earlier this year.
The World Soundtrack Awards are divided into three major categories, including Film Composer of the Year and Best Original Score of the Year. Notable composers such as Alexandre Desplat, Cliff Martinez, Howard Shore, John Williams and Alberto Iglesias are all up for the two categories.
The winners will be announced during the World Soundtrack Awards and Concert scheduled to take place on October 20, during the closing night of the Ghent International Film Festival. Composer Pino Donaggio is set to be honored with the World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award at the upcoming event.
Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film:
- “Lay Your Head Down” from “Albert Nobbs” (music by Brian Byrne, lyrics by Glenn Close, performed by Sinead O’Connor)
- “Breath of Life” from “Snow White And The Huntsman” (music & lyrics by Florence Welch and Isabella Summers, performed byFlorence and the Machine)
- “The Living Proof” from “The Help” (music & lyrics by Thomas Newman, Mary J. Blige, Harvey Mason Jr. and Damon Thomas, performed by Mary J. Blige)
- “Man or Muppet” from “The Muppets” (music & Lyrics by Bret McKenzie, performed by Jason Segel and Walter)
- “Masterpiece” from “W.E.” (music & lyrics by Madonna, Julie Frost and Jimmy Harry, performed by Madonna)
Film Composer of the Year
- Alexandre Desplat (“A Better Life“, “Carnage“, “Rust & Bone“, “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close“, “Moonrise Kingdom“, “The Ides of March“)
- Alberto Iglesias (“The Monk“, “The Skin I Live In“, “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy“)
- Cliff Martinez (“Contagion“, “Drive“)
- Howard Shore (“A Dangerous Method“, “Cosmopolis“, “Hugo“)
- John Williams (“The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn“, “War Horse“)
Best Original Film Score of the Year
- “Drive” by Cliff Martinez
- “Hugo” by Howard Shore
- “The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn” by John Williams
- “The Ides Of March” by Alexandre Desplat
- “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” by Alberto Iglesias